Deschutes Post 4108 History
The Post history is a work in progress as members provide information. Current information is based on an interview with Art Horsell, WWII veteran and an original member of Post 4108.
The Redmond Oregon VFW Post began as veterans starting returning from WWII in late 1945. The 30-40 veterans that started the Redmond Post first met at the Officers Quarters at the Army Air Corps Base located at what is now Roberts Field (Redmond Airport). In early 1946, they applied for and obtained a charter from the National Veterans of Foreign Wars as Deschutes Post 4108. At the end of WWII (September 1945), the Army made a decision to close its Air Corps Bases, selling it to the City of Redmond for $1.
The VFW Post 4108 and American Legion Post 44 shared the Post in the early years. The original Officers Quarters was rented from the City of Redmond to use as the Post facility. The American Legion Post 44 eventually obtained its own location and split away from the Officers Quarters location.
In 1959 the Post building burned down requiring the VFW veterans to find a new location. They were able to use the American Legion Post 44 facility while they looked for a new location. The VFW Post was able to obtain its current location (previously a CCC Camp location), buying 3 acres for $200 an acre, and adding a 60′ x 100′ metal building in 1964. VFW members with carpenter, electrician and plumbing skills did all the inside finish work of the metal shell building. Dances were held at the Post to raise money to fund the construction.
Meeting rooms were then added across the back of the building, and a bar was added (obtained from a Portland Hotel).
The Post kitchen was expanded, removing a storage room to add ovens and a walk-in refrigeration unit.